Our last day in the Lower 48. We spent part of the morning walking around the old Boise railroad depot. The structure, built in 1925 by the Union Pacific Railroad, has a modified Spanish Colonial design.
The depot was used by Union Pacific until 1971 when Amtrak took over service. Passenger service ended in the mid 1990s. The City of Boise now owns the building and grounds. The depot was added to the National Register of historic Places in 1974.
It is located on a bench above the Boise River, at one end of Capital Boulevard. At the other end of Capitol Boulevard, across the river, is the Idaho State Capitol building.
In front of the depot is Platt Garden, designed by Spanish landscape architect, Ricardo Espino, and built in 1927. The garden feature a large sloping lawn, curved walkways, and a series of terraced ponds constructed of native stone.
Beside the building sits an old 2-8-2 Mikado (Mike) steam locomotive used by Union Pacific. The 2-8-2 refers to the wheel arrangement (2 leading wheels on one axle, 8 drive wheels on four axles, and two trailing wheels on one axle).