Minnie and Charles staked and farmed a homestead on the north bank of the Chena River, across from the nascent town. A 1911 photograph in the University of Alaska archives shows their farm with a large oat field in front of the farmhouse.
In the 1930s Charles subdivided the homestead, forming the suburb of Fairbanks called Slaterville. Slaterville has two parts: North and South. The dividing line is Minnie Street--most probably named after Charles Slater's wife.