Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Cozy Cabin on the Creek


Wow—my first blog post. What to do, what to do? Perhaps I should wax philosophic on art and society, or become pedantic and write about the loss of historic buildings, or do something trite about how art saved my life. Nah! I’ll just go directly to what excites me, art and rambling.
Cozy Cabin on the Creek, pen and ink on Bristol board, 7.5" x 10.5"
I found this cabin beside a narrow road wandering along a small creek northeast of Fairbanks. There is nothing significant about it except that is a typical cabin, much like ones found throughout the hills of Interior Alaska. It is small, only about 10'x 10'easy to build and easy to move. Since building materials were scarce during the early 1900s, people often moved buildings from camp to camp. Walking among the hills around Fairbanks you often see the depressions where buildings used to be, but when the claim ran out, the people moved--lock, stock, and cabin.

No comments:

Post a Comment